This assignment is aligned to this course outcome: Apply macroeconomic concepts to current and personal economic events and decisions.In addition to writing about macroeconomic concepts, it’s equally important to be able to convey your understanding of these concepts by communicating them to others. In the workplace you might do this by writing briefs (like you did for Assignment 1), creating presentations, or writing reports for your manager or team. An example final report and optional template are provided below.
For this Final Report assignment, you can build off your previous economic brief and selected industry from Assignment 1, or you can select another industry such as Finance and Insurance, Health Care, or Manufacturing, and examine one of the macroeconomic indicators or policies below: GDP growth Unemployment rates Inflation rates Interest rates Imports and exports Government fiscal policy and issues related to taxation, government spending, and budget deficits FED (central bank) monetary policy and issues related to the FEDs mission to stabilize the economy
Instructions Use Microsoft Word to prepare a Final Report that is a minimum of two to three (3-4) pages long in which you:
1. Introduce your selected industry with a brief one-paragraph introduction. Refer to the NAICS (North American Industry Classification System)to review the details about your industry.
2. Assess your selected industrys relative size and growth rate in the economy. These macroeconomic resources will help you find the size and growth rate of your industry in the U.S. economy and/or relative to GDP:
Real GDP Select Section 1, then table 1.1.6 (select MODIFY to change the year range and frequency). Data is from Bureau of Economic Analysis (bea.gov).
% Change in Real GDP Select Section 1, then table 1.1.1 (select MODIFY to change the year range and frequency). Data is from Bureau of Economic Analysis (bea.gov). GDP by Industry
1. Select “Interactive Data.”
2. Select “Industry Data Tables.”
3. Select “Begin Using the Data.”
4. Select “Gross Output by Industry.”
5. Select “Real Gross Output by Industry (A) (Q).”
6. Select Quarterly or Annual.
7. Select “Next Step.” Data is from Bureau of Economic Analysis (bea.gov). % Change in GDP by Industry –
3. Identify one newsworthy macroeconomic indicator or policy (e.g., GDP, unemployment, inflation rates, interest rates, government taxation and spending decisions, and/or FED decisions) that the industry should monitor and explain why its important and how it might impact your selected industry. These resources are available to help you measure and track macroeconomic indicators and outcomes of macroeconomic policies.Youll use one or more depending on the macroeconomic indicator selected. Unemployment rates Data is from Bureau of Labor Statistics (bls.gov). Inflation rates as measured by the Consumer Price Index (CPI). Data is from Bureau of Labor Statistics (bls.gov).
% Change in Real Exports and Imports – Select Section 4, then table 4.2.1. (Select MODIFY to change the year range and frequency.) Data is from Bureau of Economic Analysis (bea.gov). Government receipts, expenditures, and savings
Select Section 3, then table 3.1 for total government and table for 3.2 for federal government. (Select MODIFY to change the year range and frequency.) Data is from the Bureau of Economic Analysis (bea.gov). FED Funds Interest Rates. Data is from Trading Economics (tradingeconomics.com).
4. Describe a recent trend in the macroeconomic indicator or policy. Include a graph, chart, or table that illustrates the observed trend.
5. Summarize how you think this industry will perform in the future. Provide support for your rationale.
6. APA Format Your brief should include a cover page.
Your brief should be a minimum of two to three (3-4) pages in length (not including the cover page), double-spaced, 12-point font. Your report should include a minimum of three (3) references/citations in the text, no Wikipedia is allowed.*** SAMPLE REPORT is attached ***