Leader Interview Questions
For this assignment, you will interview a nursing leader about his or her relationship to leadership theory. This may be a CNO, Director, Assistant Nurse Manager, Manager, or permanent charge nurse in either a hospital or clinic setting. The interview should last between 30 and 60 minutes, and should address the Interview questions below.
Submit a 5-7 page academic paper about your leadership interview. The paper should include the following components:
· An introduction including the name and title of your interviewee, as well as a brief overview of his or her background
· The body of the paper discussing the interview responses
· A conclusion describing what you learned from the interview and how you will carry it forward into your nursing practice
· A reference page in APA format (if references are used)
· What are your main responsibilities as a…?
· What type of leader are you? Authoritative, Laissez-Faire, Transformational, Transactional or Strategic? Why?
· Does this type of leadership style fit well with the nursing staff?
· What is a typical day (or week) like for you?
· What do you like most about your work?
· What do you like least about your work?
· What kinds of problems do you deal with?
· What kinds of decisions do you make?
· How does your position fit within the organization?
· How does your job affect your general lifestyle?
· What current issues and trends in nursing should I know about/be aware of?
· What kinds of accomplishments tend to be valued and rewarded in this field?
· How did you become interested in this field?
· How did you begin your career?
· What kind of additional education, training, or background does your job require?
· What skills, abilities, and personal attributes are essential to success in your job/this field?
· What are the most effective strategies for seeking a position in this field?
· Can you recommend journals, magazines or professional associations which would be helpful for my professional development?
· If you could do it all over again, would you choose the same path for yourself? If not, what would you change?
· What advice would you give someone who is considering this type of job (or field)?